The Insider Explorer; Virtual Brain Masterclass is focused on Unit 1 of VCE Psychology; How are behaviour and mental processes shaped? and relates to outcome 1: Role of the brain in mental processes and behaviour.
Area of Study 1:
- How does the brain function?
- How does the brain enable us to interact with the external world around us?
- Analysis of the roles of specific areas of the brain and the interactions between areas of the brain that enables complex cognitive tasks to be performed
The Virtual Brain program is broken into two parts;
Part 1: The explanation of the human brain using an annotated 3D model on the Inside Explorer tables, students undertake a fight, flight, freeze experiment using heart rate monitors and a Virtual Reality (VR) software to collect class data for analysis and the combination of VR headsets and heart rate monitors give the students access to technology to conduct their experiments safely and in a way that they can control more of the variables.
Part 2: To view the model of the brain and slice through the different areas of the brain. Students review what each part of the brain does, where it is in the brain and how it relates to other parts of the brain. Students work with real scans of the human brain, tailored to their VCE content requirements which are currently not available anywhere else in Australia, to understand the relationship between parts of the brain.
The combination of VR headsets an heart rate monitors give the students access to technology to conduct experiments safely and in a way that they can control more variables.
- Developing an understanding of how the brain functions
- Virtual exploration of the brain and nervous system
- Analysis of data